Friday, May 7, 2010
it's the small things..
Last night me and Lesley (my cousin) went to Mawmaws house for her famous enchiladas. I'm telling you people these things are delicious and are a staple in my family. She has been making these things for decades and they always taste better and better.
It is such a comfort food for me - its funny how there are certain things that just bring a instant comfort. Takes me back to my child hood. I was thinking alot about that this morning - about some of the things that are my grandmas "comforts" - I thought it would be fun to list some of them and also hear what some of yours are!
MawMaw (my moms mother)
* Her famous enchiladas
* When the sun is setting - sounds weird but, I have so many memories of things we did at this time of day (swim, prepare dinner, sit on the porch and talk, etc..)
* The lake - spending time at the lake house and fishing has always been a part of my life thanks to them ;)
* Watching I Love Lucy - we use to watch this together every night that I was there - while eating Blue Bell Ice Cream
* Blue Bell Ice Cream - do not even think about bringing another brand into her house - Blue Bell is the ONLY way to go - and i have to agree haha
Nana (my dads mother)
* She makes to die for deviled eggs and peanut butter balls - they will make any bad day instantly better
* The Weather Channel on cable - ok let me explain - growing up this was ALWAYS on at Nana and PawPaws house (that or a football game) - I always remember waking up to hearing the Weather Channel on the news and the smell on homemade pancakes cooking.
* Clean Sheets - Nanas guest room sheets always felt so crisp and clean - i loved it!
* The smell of the air from a window unit - I think this comes from when I was little they had this window unit in the living room and I loved standing in front of it until I was so cold I could hardly stand it - that and me my cousin, Amy, would stand it from of it with our tongues out and would get our tongues as dry as possible (we were weird children)
* Zest bar soap. It must be zest and it must be the bar not the liquid body wash. end of story.
I could go on and on with these lists - more on my grandmas and at least one for just about every close friend or family member. I love these little reminders. My great grandma (we called her GG) passed away when I was 16, as I get older I realize just how strong and independent she was - I draw strength from that and hope that I have a little bit of her strength passed down to me. She loved Red Birds, they are not a common bird that you see all the time, but when I do I instantly smile and my mind is flooded with memories of her. It really is the small things that bring some of the greatest peace and happiness.
What is your comfort?